FAQ Exchange students

I want to apply for an exchange mobility at University Paris Nanterre:

  1. How do I apply?
    You must first be selected by your home university for an exchange at our university. After your university has been officially nominated, you will be contacted by e-mail by the International Relations Office of University Paris Nanterre who will give you all the information you need to apply online and prepare your exchange. If your application is accepted, you will receive an admission letter by e-mail which you can use for your administrative procedures, including the visa application if you are concerned.
  2. What level of French do I need to have to study at University Paris Nanterre?
    A minimum level of B1 is required in the language of instruction (French or English). When you apply online to our university, you must provide proof of this level: a recognised certification or test (DELF or TCF for French), a level certificate from your university, a document attesting that you have studied in French or English, an identity document from a country where one of the official languages is French or English, etc. The list is not exhaustive.
  3. I am going to study on an Erasmus+ exchange, why and how do I make my Online Learning Agreement (OLA)?
    The OLA is a tool supported by the Erasmus programme, the use of which will soon be made compulsory. It makes it easier to sign, send, receive and modify the Learning Agreement. This is why we ask all Erasmus students to use this tool. You can create your OLA with the Erasmus+ App or directly on the OLA platform. Download the OLA tutorial.
  4. Who signs the OLA and when? Who are the "contact person" and "responsible person" in the OLA?
    The Learning Agreement must be signed by you and the responsible teachers (department coordinator, academic coordinator) of both universities. In the OLA the responsible teacher is designated as the "responsible person". It is therefore essential to indicate the right person and the correct e-mail address, otherwise your OLA cannot be signed. After your application, we will give you the name and e-mail of the teacher responsible for your exchange at University Paris Nanterre. The list is also available here. "Contact person" means a contact person in the administration, for example your mobility coordinator in the International Relations Office.
  5. I am not an Erasmus student, do I need to sign a Learning Agreement?
    Yes, all exchange students must sign a Learning Agreement. As you cannot use the OLA, you can use a Learning Agreement template provided by one of the two universities.
  6. Do I have access to all university courses? Where can I find the course descriptions?
    You have access to most courses, however some courses are not open to exchange students, especially in Master's programmes. This information is specified in the course catalogue. In this catalogue you will also find a description of each course: content and objectives, language of instruction, bibliography, ECTS etc.

    ►Courses catalogue

    You can also follow courses in French and French civilisation, the detailed list can be found here. Finally, you should know that you can choose courses in various disciplines and faculties (UFR), even if you have been nominated within the framework of an agreement concerning a specific discipline. Nevertheless, there are a few rules to follow, which you can read here.
  7. If I applied for a room in a CROUS university residence in my application, is it guaranteed that I will have a room?
    No, obtaining a room at CROUS is not guaranteed because there is a limited number of rooms for exchange students. In any case, an alternative solution must be provided. The Welcome Desk is there to help and inform you.
  8. Are all the university rooms located on the Nanterre campus?
    Yes, only 9m² rooms are available at the Nanterre residence.
  9. I have received an e-mail from the CROUS offering me a room, what should I do?
    You have received a link allowing you to pay 100 euros online to reserve your room (deductible from the first rent). Please note! You only have a maximum of 3 days to book, you do not have the possibility to visit the room before, if you let 3 days go by, you will lose your room in the residence.

I have just arrived at University Paris Nanterre for my exchange:

  1. Is a welcome meeting organised for exchange students?
    A welcome meeting is organised at the beginning of each semester to welcome the exchange students, give them their student card and present the main stages of their stay. You will receive an email from the International Relations Office a few weeks before your arrival to let you know the details.
  2. What should I do if I can't attend the welcome meeting for exchange students?
    It is essential that you attend the welcome meeting. If you have a legitimate reason for absence (e.g. an exam), you must inform your mobility coordinator and make an appointment with them in order to receive your student card and information about your stay (appointments will be made in groups).
  3. Do I need to open a bank account in France?
    A bank account in France is essential for certain procedures: subscribing to the annual ImagineR or Navigo package for taking public transport; applying for housing assistance from the CAF; obtaining a residence permit. More information on the Welcome Desk page.
  4. Can I play sports on campus?
    Yes, to do so you must register at the university sports centre. You will have access to all the sports facilities on campus where many activities are offered (dance, fitness, combat sports, tennis, swimming, etc.).

Budget for my exchange at University Paris Nanterre: food, accommodation, transport and medical expenses

  1. How much does a meal on campus cost?
    You have several catering options on campus: small cafeterias with menus between 5 and 7 euros, and the university restaurant, which offers a full meal at lunch and dinner for 3.25 euros for students. You will also find food trucks that regularly offer sandwiches on campus.
  2. Accommodation
    A room in a private student residence or private home costs a minimum of 500 euros. A room on the university campus in Nanterre costs between 240 and 460 euros but availability is low. More information.
  3. How much does public transport cost in the Paris region?
    If you are over 26 years old, you can subscribe to the Navigo pass for 86,40 euros per month, or ask for a Navigo card on which you can load daily, weekly or monthly passes. More information.
  4. How much do I have to pay if I want to see a doctor?
    As a student at University Paris Nanterre, you can see a doctor by appointment at the Student health service on campus. The consultation is free of charge. More information.
  5. Does social security reimburse me for my medication?
    If you have seen a doctor who has prescribed medication for you, these will in principle be reimbursed by social security if you have your European Health Insurance Card. You will need to be registered in advance with a health insurance agency and give your bank details. More information on the conditions.
    If you are a student from a country outside the European Union, you can take out health insurance for foreign students free of charge.

I finished my exchange at University Paris Nanterre:

  1. How can I cancel my annual subscription to the ImagineR or Navigo card at the end of my stay?
    As an exchange student, you will not normally stay in Paris all year round. In this case, your mobility coordinator at the International Relations Office will be able to give you an end-of-stay certificate which will allow you to terminate your subscription before the end of the year.
  2. Will I have a transcript of my marks from the University Paris Nanterre?
    Yes, your official transcript will be sent by e-mail or by post to your home address a few weeks after the end of the exams.
  3. Do I have to pay the rent for my room at CROUS for the whole year even if I only stay a few months?
    No. Your room reservation is for the whole year but you are free to leave whenever you wish and you will only pay for the months you have spent in France. However, you must fill in a notice of departure with the International Relations Office one month before your departure, otherwise you will have to pay for an extra month.

Updated on 21 mai 2024